FRESNO — The Maddy Scholar Intern Program’s goal is to prepare the next generation of political, governmental, business, nonprofit leaders for the San Joaquin Valley through internship opportunities in local, state and federal government offices in Washington, D.C., Sacramento and throughout the region.
Each year approximately 30 university students from regional universities (CSU Fresno, CSU Stanislaus, CSU Bakersfield, Cal Poly San Luis Obispo and UC Merced) are selected as Legislative Scholar-Interns. Legislative Scholar-Interns are placed on assignment in government offices throughout the Valley, as well as in Sacramento and Washington, D.C.
The Legislative Internship Program provides students with opportunities to develop public leadership skills while gaining practical knowledge of the day-to-day operations of government and the political process. Legislative Scholar-Interns receive academic credit as well as a stipend.
Examples of placements include: U.S. Senate and Congressional offices (Capitol and district offices), California Assembly and Senate offices (Capitol and district offices) and the Governor’s Office. Students are selected based on their academic standing to elevate citizen participation and government performance at all levels through leadership training for public service.
- Valley Legislative Intern Scholar Program Spring 2018 (San Joaquin Valley – Fresno, Clovis, Merced, Modesto, etc.): Application postmarked, delivered, emailed, or faxed by 5 p.m. on Sept. 7 and include:
- Completed Application: All sections must be completed and signed.
- Resume: Must be current and completed.
- Personal Statement: One page. Write a short biographical sketch. How would the legislative office benefit from having you in the office? What interest, experience, or background do you have in public policy or government affairs (school, work, volunteerism, etc.)?
- College transcripts: Copies are acceptable. Your name must appear on the document. Official transcripts indicating expected graduation date and degree will be required.
- If applicant is selected for an initial interview (Sep. 12), the applicant must:
Enroll into course to receive Academic Credit for internship in order to be considered for placement. All academic requirements need to be done prior to beginning of internship (Academic credit is granted through each academic department and graduate program. Applicants must contact their own school/academic department so advising staff can assist.)
Or enroll into an Independent Study program for at least one (1) unit in order to be considered for placement. All academic requirements need to be done prior to beginning of internship. (Independent Study Policies vary per each academic department and graduate program. Applicants must contact their own school/academic department so advising staff can assist.)
- Must have a 3.0 overall GPA or higher;
- Must be at least a Junior in standing (60 units completed) OR
- Must be a graduate student in standing during the semester of the internship.
- Send applications to:
Maria Jeans, Program Coordinator - The Maddy Institute
Foundation Building, California State University
4910 N. Chestnut Ave.
Fresno, CA 93726
Office: 278-1133; Fax: 278-1167