Subscribe for 33¢ / day

FRESNO -- A man was arrested after a SWAT standoff that lasted several hours on June 11. 

According to the Fresno County Sheriff’s Office, construction workers went to a home in the 2100 block of S. Rolinda Ave. around 2 p.m. to do some work. While they were inside, they found a man hiding in a closet. The man left after getting into an argument with the workers.

The department said the workers saw the man walk to a neighboring house and break a window to get in. The workers called it in to the Sheriff’s Office, after which deputies were sent to investigate.

Although the department couldn’t initially contact the homeowner, the owner arrived shortly after deputies showed up at the residence. The owner opened the door with his key but the suspect quickly grabbed hold of the handle, pushed the door back and re-locked it, saying he was armed and would shoot anyone who came inside.

The department said the homeowner admitted to owning a few guns and that some of them weren’t locked up.

The county and Clovis SWAT teams were then called in. After attempts to communicate with the suspect proved unsuccessful, the SWAT team threw tear gas into the home to try to get the suspect to surrender.

The department said the suspect refused to leave and told deputies over the phone not to come in or he would begin shooting at them.

At this point, the Fresno County Explosive Ordnance Disposal Unit brought in a robot equipped with a camera to scope out the house. The robot was able to determine that the suspect holed up in a barricaded room.

The Sheriff’s Office said SWAT members then re-deployed the tear gas in room the suspect was in. This time, the suspect finally left the room after some resistance, after which he was arrested.

The man was identified as 37-year-old Fresno resident Chanley Un, who has a large criminal history. He was booked into the Fresno County Jail on suspicion of burglary, obstructing a public officer, making criminal threats and assaulting an officer. 

Upon a search of the room, law enforcement found some of the owner’s guns. No one was injured in the standoff.

The reporter can be reached at 583-2429 or

Load comments