Every year in the USA electrical distribution and lighting equipment are involved in home fires resulting in deaths, injuries, and millions of dollars in property damage.
Most of the fires involving electrical equipment included fixed wiring, switches, receptacles, outlets, and extension cords. Fires due to electrical equipment can be prevented by doing the following:
- Repair or replace loose or frayed cords on all electrical devices.
- Use plastic safety covers over unused outlets if you have small children.
- Avoid overloading outlets by plugging only one high-wattage appliance into each receptacle outlet.
- If outlets or switches feel warm, shut the circuit off and have an electrician inspect it.
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions before using appliances.
- Avoid running extension cords across doorways or under carpets.
- Use extension cords with surge protection.