{{featured_button_text}}
Hanford Fire Department

Choking is one of the leading causes of unintentional death in children less than 5 years old and children under the age of 5 are at greatest risk for choking injury and death. Toys, household items, and foods can all be a choking hazard and the most common cause of nonfatal choking in young children is food. The best way to reduce the risk of choking is parental supervision and keeping choking hazards out of children’s reach. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends keeping the following foods and objects away form children younger than four:

  • Foods
  • Hot dogs
  • Nuts and seeds
  • Whole grapes
  • Popcorn
  • Hard or sticky candy
  • Chunks of Peanut Butter
  • Gum
  • Dangerous Objects
  • Latex balloons
  • Coins
  • Marbles
  • Toys with small parts or that can be compressed to fit into a child’s mouth
  • Small balls
  • Pen or marker caps

It is also recommended that parents and caregivers take First Aid or CPR classes. The Hanford Fire Department offers CPR classes and if you are interested call 585-2545 for class information.

Be the first to know - Sign up for News Alerts

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Fire Safety Tips are prepared by Fire Captain Matthew Rowe of the Hanford Fire Department. Become a fan of the HFD by clicking “like” at facebook.com/HanfordFireFollow the HFD on Twitter at twitter.com/HanfordFire

Load comments