Veterans Corner: Camp Lejeune contamination claims available

2013-07-26T16:58:00Z 2014-03-21T11:23:11Z Veterans Corner: Camp Lejeune contamination claims availableBy Joe Wright Hanford Sentinel
July 26, 2013 4:58 pm  • 

In the early 1980s, at the Marine Corps Base in Lejeune, N.C., it was discovered that two on-base water supply systems were contaminated with the volatile organic compounds trichloroethylene (TCE), a metal degreaser, and perchloroethylene (PCE), a dry cleaning agent.

Benzene, vinyl chloride and other compounds were also found to be contaminating the water supply systems from August 1953 through December 1987.  

There is limited and suggestive evidence of an association between certain diseases and the chemical compounds found at Camp Lejeune during the period of contamination. The VA will consider disability compensation claims based on exposure to the contaminated water at Camp Lejeune on a case-by-case basis.

In order to file a claim, you must be a veteran who was discharged under conditions other than dishonorable, and you must have served at Camp Lejeune during the period of contamination (August 1953 through December 1987). You must also have a current disease and a medical opinion that states the disease is a result of exposure to the contaminated water at Camp Lejeune.  

Under a law signed in 2012, veterans and family members who served on active duty or resided at Camp Lejeune for 30 days or more between Jan. 1, 1957, and Dec. 31, 1987 may be eligible for medical care through VA for many health conditions, including several types of cancer, multiple myeloma, renal toxicity, female infertility, scleroderma, non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma and leukemia.

Our office is available to answer any questions you may have and assist you with any claims for benefits.

The Kings County Veterans Service Office issues veteran I.D. cards to honorably discharged veterans. Contact me if you would like to receive periodic veteran’s information by email. There are many state and federal benefits and programs available to veterans and their dependents.  

To find out if you are eligible for any of these benefits, visit or call our office. We can and will assist you in completing all required application forms. You can get information from the Kings County Veterans Service Office at

Joe Wright, retired Navy master chief petty officer, is the veterans service officer for Kings County. Send your questions to the Veterans Service Office, 1400 W. Lacey Blvd., Hanford, CA 93230; call 852-2669; or email

Copyright 2016 Hanford Sentinel. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

No Comments Posted.

Add Comment
You must Login to comment.

Click here to get an account it's free and quick