Teen pleads in Centennial Park gang shooting

16-year-old now faces a 39-year sentence
2012-10-05T12:04:00Z Teen pleads in Centennial Park gang shootingBy Joe Johnson Hanford Sentinel
October 05, 2012 12:04 pm  • 

HANFORD — A teenager, charged as an adult for shooting at two men near Centennial Park, pleaded guilty this week to second-degree attempted murder.

Orlando Facio, 16, admitted to his role in the Sept. 7, 2011 attack that left two men hospitalized with gunshot wounds.

By pleading guilty, Facio accepted a stipulated 39-year prison sentence, according to the Kings County District Attorney’s Office.

The attack happened in the early evening along Hanford-Armona Road. Police said Facio had been riding in an SUV when he spotted two rival gang members walking on the sidewalk.

Both groups swapped insults, then Facio stepped out of the vehicle with a loaded shotgun, Hanford police said. He fired twice, hitting Jose Jocobo in the leg and Francisco Ortega in the back, then jumped back into the SUV and sped away, according to police.

Investigators quickly located their vehicle and obtained footage of three suspects shopping at a convenience store minutes before the attack.

They arrested Facio and three others — Richard Gonzalez, 16; Pedro Silva, 14; and Edgardo Saldana, 18 — but a fifth suspect remained unaccounted for.

The U.S. Marshals Service tipped officers that Jose Luis Dominguez, 25, had left town for Bakersfield after the attack. He was later taken into custody.

The District Attorney’s Office described Facio as a “Sureño gang affiliate” and decided to prosecute him as an adult. His name, along with the names of the other juvenile suspects, was released after Dominguez’s capture.

Facio pleaded guilty to second-degree attempted murder, along with participating in a criminal street gang and using a firearm in the commission of a felony.

The other suspects remain in custody and are awaiting sentencing, the District Attorney’s Office said.

Facio will return to court on Oct. 31 to be formally sentenced.

The case was investigated by Cory Matthews and James Edlund with the Hanford Police Department and Gang Task Force Field Supervisor Justin Vallin. Deputy District Attorney Tonya Lee with the DA’s Violent Crimes Unit prosecuted the case.

The reporter can be reached at 583-2425 or jjohnson@HanfordSentinel.com.

Copyright 2015 Hanford Sentinel. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

No Comments Posted.

Add Comment
You must Login to comment.

Click here to get an account it's free and quick

Featured Businesses