Dorothy Tarvin Gibson
December 14, 1925 - August 4, 2017
Dorothy Tarvin Gibson, 91, passed away on Friday, August 4, 2017, at the Remington in Hanford, Ca. She was born Dorothy Lee Doris, in Tulare, Ca, on December 14, 1925, to Robert and Margaret Doris. Dorothy graduated from Corcoran High school, earned her bachelor's degree from Fresno State College in health education, and began working at Kings County General Hospital as an RN. Dorothy trained as a cadet nurse in World War II and became a school and public health nurse in Kings Co., Ca. She married Stratton L. Tarvin, June 20, 1948, in Corcoran, Ca. Stratton was a teacher and school superintendent at Hanford High. They had three children, John, Jane, and James. Dorothy later worked with special education students and at the Continuation High School. Dorothy and Stratton were involved in organizing the Tarvin Family Association in the mid-1980's, with annual nation-wide reunions. Both were very active members of the First Presbyterian Church. They also enjoyed RV trips in the Good Sam Club. Stratton died in 1991.
In 1997, Dorothy married Stratton's cousin, 'Mel' Gibson, and made their home in Florida. Together Dorothy and Mel traveled the country visiting family and attended Tarvin reunions and gatherings for many years. They moved back to Hanford in 2005, where Mel died months later. Dorothy continued to serve the association as membership chair. Most Tarvin Family Association members, her Doris and McKim relatives, and life-long friends, received personal notes from Dorothy several times a year; always making a personal connection. Dorothy had been active in the First Presbyterian Church in Hanford and in Florida.
Dorothy is survived by her son John Tarvin and granddaughters Shannon and Erin, her daughter Jane Tarvin Mankey, husband Neal and grandchildren, Ian, Nelson, Nicholas, Emilie, and great-granddaughter Evelyn Dorothy Mankey. There will be a memorial service at 2:00 p.m., on Saturday, October 21, 2017, at the First Presbyterian Church, 340 N. Irwin St., in Hanford.