HANFORD — A structure fire started in the garage of a home Wednesday morning, causing the home to become uninhabitable and displacing five people.

Hanford Fire Department Battalion Chief Erik Brotemarkle said fire crews were called to the 1100 block of Northstar Drive just before 6 a.m. after a report of a garage on fire with a vehicle inside.

Brotemarkle said the caller reported hearing sounds like gunshots or explosions coming from inside the garage and was fearful of possible propane tanks inside.

Brotemarkle said 14 firefighters from two Hanford Fire Department crews and two Kings County Fire Department crews arrived to find the garage engulfed in flames. He said crews left around 9 a.m. after bringing the fire fully under control.

There were five people home at the time and they were all able to get out safely with no injuries, Brotemarkle said.

Brotemarkle said part of the house is uninhabitable due to fire damage and the five people are now displaced. He said the department called in the Red Cross, which is now helping the family.

Brotemarkle said investigators left the scene around 2:30 p.m., but he did not yet know the results of the investigation.

Load comments