One of the best ways to prevent fire in the home is to do a home inspection specifically looking for the fire hazards or preparing for emergency measures in case of a fire. Inspect your home one section at a time:
• Smoke detectors should be tested regularly to be sure they are functioning correctly.
• Have a working flashlight next to each bed.
• Again, check for overloaded outlets, extension cords and heaters that are too close to combustible items.
• Each member of the family should know what to do in the event of a fire.
• Do all family members know the fire escape plan?
• Plan two escapes from each bedroom in case of a fire.
• If you smoke, DO NOT smoke in bed.