Along with the celebrations and festivities for the holidays comes more cooking and home decorating which also leads to an increased risk of fire. Being responsible with excessive lighting and decorations is paramount to having a safe holiday. When using holiday decorations and lighting follow these tips:
- Choose decorations that are made of flame-resistant, flame-retardant, or non-combustible materials.
- Keep candles away from Christmas trees, decorations, and other combustible materials.
- Follow manufacturer’s instructions for use, installation, and maintenance of lights and electrical decorations and ensure they have been laboratory tested (e.g., UL).
- Do not overload extension cords and use extension cords with surge protection.
- Inspect new and used light strands and replace damaged bulbs prior to using.
- Unplug lights before replacing light bulbs or fuses.
- Keep children and pets away from electrical decorations and light strings.
- Don’t mount lights in any manner that can damage the wire insulation of the cord (use clips not nails).
- Turn off all electrical decorations and light strings before going to bed or leaving the house.