With Christmas coming up, the Hanford Fire Department would like to help you make it a safe holiday for you and your family. Cooking fires are one of the major causes of home fires and home fire injuries, and more fires start in the kitchen than any other part of the home. The leading cause of cooking fires is leaving cooking food unattended, so follow these tips to ensure a safe holiday:

  • Never leave cooking food unattended on the stove.
  • Monitor food cooking in the oven.
  • Keep children away from cooking areas and create a three foot “kid-free zone” around the stove.
  • Keep cooking areas clear of combustible materials (e.g., towels, rags, drapes, food packaging).
  • Do not wear loose clothing while cooking.
  • Keep oven mitts, pot holders, and lids available.

If a fire starts in your kitchen call 9-1-1 immediately and if the fire is small enough try these tips:

  • If a fire starts in a pan on the stove, turn off the burner, put on an oven mitt and cover the pan with a lid which will smother the fire.
  • Never use water on a grease fire, because it can spread the burning grease around the kitchen.
  • If there is an oven fire, turn off the heat and keep the door closed to prevent flames from burning you.
  • If there is a microwave fire, keep the door closed and unplug the microwave.

Fire Safety Tips are prepared by Fire Captain Matthew Rowe of the Hanford Fire Department. Become a fan of the HFD by clicking “like” at facebook.com/HanfordFireFollow the HFD on Twitter at twitter.com/HanfordFire

Outbrain